Sunday, January 24, 2010

I went to Church

Today, I attended the sunday morning service at The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fayetteville. I went because my non-fundamentalist theist wife is looking for a church in our new town. Like me, she is tired and disgusted with the turn that fundamentalism is taking these days, especially the anti-science position of many churches.

The service was beautiful and there was a visiting chior. The sermon incorporated humor and irreverence and had me laughing every minute. It was a nice change from the dogma dry legalistic sermons that I am used to.

Unitarian Universalist churches are the most open religious congregations in the world. Anybody is welcome. I know most fundamentalist churches would claim the same thing, but it's not true in practice. I was confronted by a deacon at a church some time ago for attending their sunday morning service. I was asked why I'd come if I didn't believe any of it. I answered that it was because his pastor invited me, which was true. That shut him up.

There are a few things that I might disagree with Unitarian Universalist on. They claim that all forms of worship and religion is valid. I don't see how that is possible. I do find it possible that they could all be wrong, however.

Anyways, this congregation could be a good replacement for the social aspects of religion. Especially, for my wife but possibly for myself as well.

1 comment:

The Rambling Taoist said...

In my experience, UUs simply are good folks to hang out with. I've never met one who tried to proselytize me. A lot of the UU congregations are very involved in social justice issues as are the Quakers.