Friday, August 1, 2008

Welcome to The Superstition Free Blog

Welcome to my blog. I have been wanting to start a blog for awhile, so here it is. I plan to write a post every other day or so, about my experiences as an atheist in a small bible-belt town in Northern Arkansas.

A little about myself. I am the son of this evangelical minister. I was a Christian for much of my life. I have been an atheist for several years, but have only been claiming to be one for the past two years. I have read the bible. All of it, not just the good parts. I work at a local factory that manufactures fiberglass storage tanks. I am 39 years old and I'm married to a wonderful woman who happens to be a fairly liberal Christian. I am the only atheist in my family, most of whom are evangelical Christians. Most of my co-workers are also Christians, though to a varying degree. I get along well with all of them.

I chose the name "Superstition Free" to emphasize that I am a naturalist. I don't believe in the supernatural. I believe that everything has a natural cause. I believe in what I call the "objective truth." The truth is what it is. You can not change the truth through faith, belief, or prayer. IOW, the universe has no obligation to conform to anybodys beliefs, including mine. Just because, for example, my father believes that the universe has to have an intelligent designer, doesn't mean that there is an intelligent designer.

I know I'll have fun writing this blog. I hope you'll have fun reading it. Come back often. Comment often. I love debates, so please tell me if you disagree with anything I say. Just one rule: Be civil.

No comments: