Sunday, February 7, 2010

Obama Breaks Etiquette Taboo! Oh Waah!

Here's an e-mail that was sent to me the other day, by a dear friend of mine.
Keep your feet OFF the White House furniture (which belongs to the people)!


Does this photo of President Obama in the Oval Office convey anything to you about his attitude?

Would you speak with the Chief of Staff, your Chief Economic Adviser, and your Senior Adviser with your feet up on the Resolute Desk - a gift from Queen Victoria to President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880?

This arrogant, immature & self-centered man has no sense of honor, or of simple decency.

While this posture is disrespectful in any culture, it is absolutely never done in any executive setting.

Further, in over half of the cultures of the world, it is recognized not only as disrespectful, but as an extreme insult.

He thinks of himself as a king -- and not as a servant of the people, humbly occupying our White House for his term in office.

Electing him was an enormous mistake -- and will cost us in many ways, for generations.
Wow! That's alot to get from someone resting their feet on a desk (even if it is a priceless desk). I'm just not that impressed with the original author's indignation. Really, Obama's not the anti-christ for resting his feet on a desk. I think that the closet racists* in our country are just looking for any little thing to criticize our president for.

You know, if I was president, I'd probably put my feet on the desk as well. Oh heck! I don't have to be president to do that!

Sue me!
Note:Hole in sock
* The friend that sent this is not a racist in any way. She may have just sent it to me because she'd know what reaction it'd get from me.

9 comments:

Robert Madewell said...

Hey, here's a photo of Ford with his feet up on the same desk!

Click Here

Chris Wellons said...

Bush did it too. Unless the writer has a very similar opinion of Bush and Ford, it's just hypocritical.

Robert Madewell said...

This glurge asks question of the reader, so I'll answer them.

Does this photo of President Obama in the Oval Office convey anything to you about his attitude? Not really. I can't perceive someone's attitude from just looking at a picture.

Would you speak with the Chief of Staff, your Chief Economic Adviser, and your Senior Adviser with your feet up on the Resolute Desk - a gift from Queen Victoria to President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880? Probably! I would probably kick my shoes off first and either there'd be a hole in my sock, or I wouldn't be wearing socks.

This arrogant, immature & self-centered man has no sense of honor, or of simple decency. How'd you get arrogant, immature, self-centered, dishonorable, and indecent from such a simple photograph? I think someone is projecting!

While this posture is disrespectful in any culture, it is absolutely never done in any executive setting. This statement is just wrong. It is not disrespectful in any (every) culture. I didn't feel disrespected when I saw it. By the way, it is done in executive settings! The picture is actually proof of that. Besides, I had a boss that did the same thing.

Further, in over half of the cultures of the world, it is recognized not only as disrespectful, but as an extreme insult. Even, if this was so, Obama isn't in those cultures that see it as an insult. He's in the USA.

He thinks of himself as a king -- and not as a servant of the people, humbly occupying our White House for his term in office. You know this, how? Did Obama tell you that he thinks of himself as a king? If not, what makes you think this is true?

Electing him was an enormous mistake -- and will cost us in many ways, for generations. Really? You know that because he put his feet up on a desk? Is that rational? BTW, there are photos of G.W. Bush and Ford doing the same thing.

Mark Morrison said...

I have my feet on my desk right now.I hope no one is watching!!! Oh never mind I think the desk cost .50 cent at a yard sale...

Renshia said...

It amazes me that someone can have so much hate in themselves, they can find almost anything as an excuse to whine and be offended.

Sometimes we need to encourage suicide for the betterment of society...

Robert Madewell said...

Wow, I don't know what scares me more, Richard. The crazy fundagelicals that write these nutty glurges or what you just said. :)

fuuuuck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Volly said...

Surely, this isn't the first example of this kind of blind, biased hatred toward Obama that you've encountered?

Remember "Shortsgate," where Mrs. Obama had the audacity to wear regular-people shorts & comfortable shoes while traipsing around a tourist spot with the kids in 90-degree weather? People actually castigated her for this, and also said she shouldn't dress so casually on Air Force One, since "we the people" pay for the plane with our sacred tax dollars and have the right to demand that the First Lady dress more elegantly or some such twaddle.

The President has been taken to task numerous times for displaying gestures of respect toward various leaders of other countries as well. This, to the nutbags, is merely additional proof that Mr. Obama is somehow "anti-American."

...It's about time to turn off the news again for a couple of weeks and get back to my favorite hard-rock station.

Anonymous said...

Obama can put his feet on the desk if he prefers to. He's the president. You're just mad because he's black :)