Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Prayer Sign Suggestion

Since I've been accused of being hateful for pointing out bible verses being used in hateful ways, I have a suggestion for a prayer sign.

I know that the bible is full of brutality and hate, yet there are some very good verses in there. You just have to search through all the smelly oysters before you find the pearl. If Christians want to use the bible in a "Christ-like manner", I suggest searching out the enlightened verses instead of using poems written by evil tyrants. There's an entire industry of publishers that will do that job for you. You just have to read the study guides and use the nice verses.

My suggestion is one of my favorite verses in the entire bible. I had to search for it again because I forgot the reference. Christians, enjoy. This one is for you, because this is what our country really needs.


Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. Romans 14:19

6 comments:

Judy Madewell said...

Thank you Robert. That is nice.

Anonymous said...

Very clever for you to use our words against us, atheist.

Robert Madewell said...

Thank you, Anonymous.

I've read the bible at least twice, front to back. So, I know what's in there. It's like a yard sale. There's a bunch of junk that you don't need, but if you dig around, you might find something actually worth buying.

Face it. It's like any other holy book. It's a hodge-podge of hateful rants and brilliant insight. The ancient priests that wrote it were like today's religious leaders. Some were legalistic, hateful pricks. Others were kind hearted and cared for their people. The bible is a cross-section of the religious views of the times it was written.

I am not totally anti-theistic. My concern is that fundamentalism is heading toward legalism and hate. It's certainly not the same fundamentalism I grew up in.

Stick to the study guides. They'll keep you in the insight and away from the hateful rants.

Merry Christmas, Anonymous. I had a wonderful holiday. I hope you did as well.

Sabio Lantz said...

That was refreshing ! Recognizing the value in some religious teachings can be healthy.

Savonarola said...

You've been accused of being hateful? She should see what I post when I get pissed at stupid people.

(She'd probably be calling for my death so nobody gets hurt.)

CybrgnX said...

I have never heard a xtian say anything to me that was from the buybull that was LOVING that was also not available from any other religion of good secular philosophy. There is nothing 'good' in the buybull later is original to it or at least not that I have found. So all I ever hear is how 'you cant....' because it is sinful or evil.